Monday - Friday 8.30am-6.00pm Saturday 9.00-12.00

Monday - Friday 8.30am-6.00pm Saturday 9.00-12.00

How to get your Animal Health Certificate for pet travel after Brexit

Following Brexit, people from the UK are no longer able to use their pet passport to travel with their pet to Europe. If you are planning a trip with your dog, cat or ferret to any EU country or Northern Ireland and you are a UK resident, you will now need to apply for an Animal Health Certificate.


If your pet has previously been issued a PETS passport by a non-UK EU country or Switzerland, you will not need an Animal Health Certificate to travel. Your pet’s existing passport will be suitable for entry to the EU and return to the UK.

It should also be noted that special rules may apply for entry to Northern Ireland, and you should always check official Government Advice.

What is an Animal Health Certificate?

An Animal Health Certificate is a single use document that allows entry into the EU, as well as onwards travel within the EU for up to 4 months and return to the UK. It is only for dogs, cats and ferrets. You will need a new certificate each time you travel.

The Animal Health Certificate is the replacement for the previously used PETS passports and is the result of negotiations and speculations about pet travel after Brexit.

How do I get an Animal Health Certificate?

To get an Animal Health Certificate, your pet must be microchipped, be at least 12 weeks old and have had their rabies vaccine. The earliest date you can travel to Europe or Northern Ireland is 21 days after your pet’s rabies vaccination.

Within those 21 days (or afterwards) your pet will need to be examined by an Official Veterinarian who can issue your pet’s health certificate. You need to bring proof of your pet’s microchipping date and vaccination history so that your vet can issue your Animal Health Certificate with the correct information.

This official examination needs to be carried out no earlier than 10 days before travel.

What else do I need to travel with my pet to Europe after Brexit?

In addition to your Animal Health Certificate, there are a few other things your pet will need to travel to Northern Ireland or a country within the EU.

Before travelling, your pet will also need:

  • A microchip
  • A valid rabies vaccination
  • Tapeworm treatment for dogs if you’re travelling directly to Finland, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Norway or Malta

In the case of dogs, you will also need to take them to a local vet between 24 and 120 hours before return to the UK to have a tapeworm treatment administered and the details entered into your Animal Health Certificate or Pet Passport (if you are still able to use one).

You should also always check the individual rules of the country you and your pet are travelling to for additional rules and requirements.

If you need any further advice on pet travel or you would like to book an appointment to have your Animal Health Certificate issued in Kensington, book your appointment with us today or get in touch on 020 7221 3093.


A kitten running through a field of grass

Our veterinary services in Kensington

The care and health of your pets is Kensington Veterinary Care’s top priority. That is why we offer a comprehensive first opinion veterinary service for your furry friends.

Two dogs running together

H2 About Kensington Vet Care

Kensington Veterinary Care understand how special your pets are to you. That’s why we strive to provide the highest quality veterinary care around. Find out about our expertise.

020 7221 3093

Mon-Fri 8.30am-6.00pm
Saturday 9.00-12.00