Are you looking to travel with your furry friend to another country any time soon?

Since the end of the Brexit transition period on 31st December 2020, Pet Travel Scheme passports are no longer valid for entry to the EU.

You are still able to travel with your pet dog, cat or ferret with the EU provided that your pet is microchipped and has a valid rabies vaccination administered when the pet is at least 12 weeks old AND at least 21 days before the proposed date of travel.

You will then need to book an appointment within the 10 days preceding travel for Dr Johnny Irish to issue an Animal Health Certificate (AHC).

The AHC is a single entry, bilingual document which allows onward travel within the EU for 4 months and return to the UK within the same period. Currently pets may also return to the UK with a valid PETS passport.

Where can my cat or dog travel to?

The AHC is valid for entry to all EU countries, however the first country of EU entry must be stipulated so that the AHC is issued in the correct language.

Requirements for travel to countries outside the EU and return from them vary widely and, in some cases, further documentation and blood testing is necessary.

For authoritative information regarding travel to other countries please contact DEFRA/APHA, the Government department in charge of animal movement.

Who can issue the AHC?

Dr Johnny Irish is an Official Veterinarian (OV) authorised by the Government to carry out procedures involved in pet travel. Johnny has many years of experience in dealing with the sometimes confusing procedures that travelling with your pet entails and is happy to discuss this with you at the practice or over the phone.

What are the requirements for pet travel?

The exact procedure that is involved depends on the country or countries that you are visiting with your pet and whether you are planning to return. You must check with DEFRA, the government agency that controls animal movement between countries, if you are travelling to a country not in the EU as further documentation (including an Export Health Certificate) is likely to be required and, for some countries, diagnostic testing is required prior to the issue of any documentation.

How quickly can an AHC for my dog or cat be issued?

If your pet’s vaccinations for the desired destination are up to date, we can issue the AHC. If you require the AHC within 24 hours an increased fee will be payable.

Animal diseases abroad

Apart from rabies there are many other infectious diseases that your pet may come into contact with if you travel abroad with him or her. The most important are the arthropod-borne diseases leishmaniasis, babesiosis and ehrlichiosis but they obviously vary from place to place. We strongly recommend you contact us as soon as you know that you want to take your pet abroad so that we can advise you accordingly.

Travel costs include:

Microchipping: £42

Rabies Vaccination: £49.50

AHC Issue: £149.00

Are you ready to book a rabies vaccination or have more questions? Just call us today on 020 7221 3093 or book your appointment online and we are happy to help!